Thursday, December 2, 2010

Lu-Lu and He-Hu

My dear friend Lauren and I tonight had a talk. We talked about how here at our school, we don't have a good relationship with a lot of girls that go here. We wondered why our college experience is so different from probably every other school in the world. Our conclusion:

Women come to this school and worry about boys for four years.

We then talked about how, in the Christian culture at least, singleness is often looked down upon, though it is truly a gift (just as marriage is). She and I discussed the hurtfulness of a woman in a relationship or married who says, "ENJOY YOUR SINGLE YEARS! THEY ARE THE BEST YEARS OF YOUR LIFE"... when, in reality, if they were the best years of your life, you probably would have stayed in that time. Though, I realize God does some things in his own timing and in his own ways. But, you catch the drift.

Sometimes I just feel as if Christians: married, in relationships, older, younger, etc... look down on me because I'm single. As if being married is something to be obtained. In reality, though, it isn't. It is a blessing, a gift from the Lord, just as singleness.

Let's work together and change our perception. I'm not saying I want to be single forever, but I'm also not saying I want to be married, or even in a relationship. I'm saying that we should live according to the Holy Spirit. We should live in obedience in marriage, and singleness.

No comments: