Monday, May 9, 2011

my enemies are men like me.

Osama Bin Laden has been dead for just about a week now. My first thought when I heard that the United States Navy SEALs killed him was different from most of Americas celebration.

Osama Bin Laden is behind the horrible attacks against the United States on September 11, 2001. OBL and Al Quaeda ran two planes the World Trade Center in New York City. This was a horrible day - as millions around the world did not understand. We watched footage of People jumping out of the WTC - and our lives changed because of it.

After finding out that OBL's AL Quaeda ran these planes into the building, America went to war with Al Quaeda. Our war with their leader, Osama, ended last Sunday.

You see, I cannot celebrate in the fact that Osama is dead. Romans 12:14-21 NIV says, "

14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.Do not be conceited.

17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 On the contrary:

“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”

21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

This verse sums up my feelings towards how we should respond to Osama. The man killed 2,740 civilians on September 11th alone. Our instinct is that he should be punished for what he did - and after killing so many civilians, our first instinct is to hate him. However; Jesus calls us to not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good (v. 21).

My boss talked to me about this the day after we heard the news of Osamas death. He asked me how he should respond to this situation (if it were true): A man takes is 14 year old daughter and sends her into sex slavery.

Still, my plea is that we will love our enemies. Others will know Christians by our love for one another.

I can celebrate that the US military achieved their goal in finding and capturing him. It is a great accomplishment for our country. I do not agree that his death should be celebrated. It is a human life, afterall. A human life that will spend eternity separated from my Father.


No comments: