Sunday, May 2, 2010

I am your sustainer.

"When they found him on the other side of the sea, they said to him, 'Rabbi, when did you come here?' jesus answered them, 'Truly, I say to you, you are seeking me, not because you saw signs but because you ate your fill of the loaves. Do not labor for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. For on him God the Father has set his seal'. - John 6 25-27

It's hard sometimes to trust God as our sustainer. I feel like one of these disciples who got a little bit of Jesus, I get full and a spiritual high off of Him, and then I leave. I go out and still live like I'm full. But, soon I come to realize that I'm starving. I run back to Jesus, and say, "Feed me, Lord! Feed me!". Of course, he does. He gives us his love - he fills us with his mercy, and forgiveness. We run back into this same cycle.

Sometimes, we even do this with relationships. I'll admit it; I really struggle a lot with relationships. I want to be in a relationship - I want to be loved, and I want to love someone. We get involved in these relationships, and then we get out of them, and realize that we were never sustained or filled in the first place.

Sometimes, we do this with religion. Sometimes, we run and hide ourselves in a religious cover. We lift up our hands, close our eyes, and become 'one with the holy spirit'. We leave church, and realize we never got full.

and Sometimes, we even do this with our appearance. We will look at ourself in the mirror, and we will make ourselves to look 'okay'... we will put a smile on our face, and realize we never even ate of the loaves. We simply stared at them. No confrontation. We know what we're running from, and we know our fake faces and fake lifestyles above all.

I guess what I'm trying to say - and maybe even what this scripture is saying - is that we run to so many places looking for something to fill our hunger. We look for relationships, religion, and even how we are perceived by others to fill us. We must begin to trust King Jesus - our Father, our Sustainer, our Bread of Life - we must trust him to fill us. He must be our food; our fuel. We won't make it on anything else.

What is your fuel? What do you eat instead of the Bread?

No comments: