Friday, February 19, 2010

I've started a new book...





Last year, I went through a study with my friends called "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. It was an amazing study that really taught me more about myself. Recently, I just began a new book also by Francis Chan, called "Forgotten God". It focuses mainly on the Holy Spirit, which is what the book is about. Here are a few excerpts:

"If we read and believed these accounts, we would expect a great deal of the Holy Spirit. He would not be a mostly forgotten member of the Godhead whom we occasionally give a nod of recognition to which is what He has become in most American churches. We would expect our new life with the Holy Spirit to look radically different from our old life without Him."

"I'm just not convinced we've internalized this truth and enjoyed His blessings as He intends. it seems like this is mostly head knowledge to us, and that we have not owned it. It has not really made much of a difference in our lives, to the degree that if we woke up tomorrow and discovered that it is not true the Holy Spirit lives inside of us, most likely our lives wouldn't look much different. "

There's another story, I will save for another time. I just really enjoy this book so far. If you get a chance, go read it! I think It is so true today - We've forgotten about someone that Jesus left us on earth with. In Johns gospel,Jesus gave the disciples a reassurance that another Comforter would come... "another Counselor to be with them forever (14:16). We've forgotten about the Holy Spirit. I'm currently taking a class right now, and we are reading through Acts... and the disciples of that time waited in anticipation for the Holy Spirit... we've lost something along the way.


Anyways, I got offered a really great job tonight, and I'm stoked about it. I will be in Shawnee this Summer - which sounds boring, but my three best friends will be here too, so it can't be too bad. My friend Heather (also name twin) and I went to eat mexican food tonight in Norman. We tried to go to Teds... but there was an HOUR AND A HALF wait... it wasn't worth it. Then we went to get some boba tea (mine tasted just like MTR that I had while in Asia). And then - the most unexpected thing of all: I got to see my two very very good friends Becca and Casey. I worked with them this past summer, and we all have a heart for the same country. They are such good friends of mine; I can't imagine life without them. I haven't seen them in about 6 months either, so it was definatley a surprise! Here are some pictures! ENJOY!

No comments: